11/13/14

Tim Parrish Visit

        When Tim Parrish gave a talk at the University there many aspects of his presentation that I enjoyed. One of my favorite parts was when he gave a reading of the same scene in his new book told two completely different ways.  Previously when I envisioned how autobiographical representation of an event in someone 's  life should be written I thought that the writer had to stay as true as possible to how they actually remembered the events of that day. However Tim Parrish blew this perception away when  he read  aloud two very different retellings of a fight he had been in as young kid. The very different writing styles and details  exhibited in both retellings open my mind to a completely new concept in writing.  This concepts is that when one is giving a retelling of an event they experienced, can they ever truly give a true recounting of everything that happened? I say this because when one considers it, when we are in an environment, especially a social  setting there is so much going on around us. There are the thoughts occurring in our head,  plus  the events occurring in our environment,   all compounded also with our perception of everything taking place around us.  Now depending on the impact or message I  wish to relay to the reader as a writer, I would  include certain aspects of the situation  that I deem important in my retelling and leave certain aspects out. There fore the lesson I learned form Tim Parrish's readings was that as a writer I should always be conscious of the many different angles from which an event or scene in story can be told. I would then chose a version which aligns with the message or impact I wish to impart to the reader.
 
 Another aspect of Tim Parrish's talk I enjoyed was his comments on his writing process. Whenever I write something I always get  frustrated when ideas and words don't come very easily . There fore it was nice to hear from a professional writer that you shouldn't force the writing process but rather work diligently when you have the time and are inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment